Thursday, February 23, 2012

V6 - DIY, By Andrew Udelsman

DIY - Koga
Build Your Own Bucket Shower
By Andrew Udelsman
There‘s an art to taking bucket baths, and I never learned it. I tried! But I couldn‘t get clean, and I spent the first three months at my site stinkin‘. Students held their breath when I came near their desks. Cows and goats fled before me. Neighbors stopped visiting. No doubt about it--- my stench was interfering with my successful integration in the Rwandan community.

Then one day a friend came to visit. I told him my woes, and he gave me a brilliant sugges-tion: "Dude, why don't you just like build a shower or something?" Blessed be you, wise friend, for you have changed my life! Yes, friends, I introduce to you: The Bucket Shower.


… Ok, it may not look like much, but it works. Especially good for washing hair and the back area.

How to build a bucket shower:
1. Buy an ibase (i.e., basin or bathing bucket).
2. Heat up a knife in a fire and drill a little hole in the bottom
3. Find a way to keep the ibase suspended in the air. This is the only difficult part--- I drilled four little holes in the top and then used rope to tie it to the roof of my "bathroom‖

That's it! When you want to shower, just pour as much water as you need into that bucket, and voilá, you have a nice 5-minute shower. For an extra-luxurious bathing experience, use warm water.

No comments:

Post a Comment